Our Curriculum: An Introduction

What is our Curriculum Intent?
Our curriculum is based on a simple yet powerful idea.
Main idea:  Our children grow in knowledge through our 'small steps' curriculum.
Research shows and our own internal data shows that children are not so overwhelmed when content is broken down into 'small steps'.  This mastery approach has the same aspirations for all children, believing that all children can achieve ambitious goals.   We believe that taking a mastery, small steps approach is right for our school and is our curriculum intent.
Research also shows that countries with a knowledge-based curriculum tend to do better.  With this in mind, we have designed a curriculum that reflects our vision of growth but also ensures that children learn content that is to be remembered.  This does not mean learning endless lists of facts, instead, children learn the discipline and rigor of academic subjects.  It means learning the knowledge of how to behave in a subject and developing a deeper understanding of the 'big ideas' or concepts as well as the given facts.   Where possible, we link subjects together but we respect the standalone nature of the subjects too. We balance this by teaching character so that children become fully-rounded individuals who have something genuine to offer our great country in the future and indeed now.
When the fledgling church was being formed, Saint Peter wrote his second epistle and he said, "Grow in the Grace and Knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ."  We have taken this as our motto for the school and its new vision.  We believe that children can develop both in knowing more things as well as developing their character in our Christian setting. 
We believe our curriculum has the power to deliver these ambitious aims of developing character as well as developing a deeper understanding of 'culturally-rich knowledge that children need to acquire in order to be successful in life.
Some subjects can be taught in a thematic way and this is done through 'topics' or our new weekly afternoon of character-building sessions called 'Stogursey Adventurers'; however, we recognise that some subjects need to be taught in isolation, in what is known as 'discrete teaching'.
Our chosen approach to Curriculum is a knowledge-rich one that is sequenced with an intention to build on concepts learned in previous years so that chldren get a chance to grow their understanding deeply.  As we are a small school, our learning is organised into three phases and on a rolling programme. This enables us to build an age-appropriate curriculum with concepts that are revisited throughout. 
One thing to add is that curriculum development is never-ending and evolving.  Below is our curriculum development strategy and this document outlines the decisions we have taken and the evidence-base behind it.
How we implement this
We teach 80% of the time the National Curriculum to ensure progress is being made and teachers design the delivery of this through a relevant, engaging character-developing topic. The other 20% of the time takes advantage of our beautiful surroundings and explores the rural aspects and outdoor learning all year-round. We also take mental health very seriously and we are working on our curriculum offer and school culture to become a mentally aware school.  We hope to achieve our Trauma-Informed School Award by Summer 2023.

What are the topics?
Our curriculum is based on the National Curriculum for England (2014) and this provides contexts for studying the concepts outlined above.  Below is an overview of the topic titles and they are usually History, Geography or Science-based.
Year A = 2021/22
Year B = 2022/23
How do we teach this?
Below is our subject-specific curricular information guide.  This outlines our intent, implementation and impact for all the curricular subjects.  It is not a light read but is useful in showing how we deliver this in our school.
How do we measure impact?
As well as measuring the impact of our curriculum through end of Key Stage Statutory Assessments such as SATs, we also measure impact as we go so we can learn about what is working and what is not working.  Below are some ways in which we find out which content has been remembered after teaching is complete.  During teaching, our teachers use the new feedback and marking policy to adjust the programme of teaching as they go to ensure progress is made.
Our curriculum policy explains everything in far more detail.
Parents Guide to the National Curriculum
If you wish to find out more about the National Curriculum, there is a guide below.