Stogursey's Character Curriculum
During the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus urged his newly-found disciples to not 'hide their lights under a bushel' but rather to 'let their lights shine.' During the sermon, Jesus wanted his new followers to step out of their comfort zones, help build a movement and to help implement radical new ideas.
We see our school as a call to action. It is through stepping out of our comfort zones, aspiring to achieve radical goals and bring the whole community with us that we serve God and develop our school so that everyone reaches their potential and more.
Throughout everything we do in school, our character curriculum gives children the chance to gain new experiences, gain knowledge and a rich vocabulary, learn skills and make connections that will enable them to truly discover what their hidden strengths are: to let their lights shine.
Our Intent- working with our partners in the Quantock Education Trust, we aim to develop character and shape futures of our children. We recognise that the only way to grow and develop character is to step out of one's comfort zone, thereby 'letting our lights shine'.
The diagram above is a useful guide to what we want to achieve and we believe we can achieve this together and with our Christian values driving this. Our Christian values of Kindness, Friendship, Courage, Resilience, Thankfulness and Love are explored in-depth through topics, discrete teaching, experiences and through the ethos of the school.
How we implement this- We teach 80% of the time the National Curriculum to ensure progress is being made and teachers design the delivery of this through a relevant, engaging character-developing topic. The other 20% of the time takes advantage of our beautiful surroundings and explores the rural aspects and outdoor learning all year-round. We also take mental health very seriously and realise that stepping out of one's comfort zone brings feelings of anxiety but see this as a chance to work with it and develop 'Stogursey Resilience' to tackle anything that we encounter.
The impact- As our Curriculum is so broad and balanced, we firmly believe that by the time children leave our school, they would have had a chance to shine at something. Like the Disciples, we believe our children will be empowered to play to their newly-discovered strengths and leave their legacy on the community. This would be exactly what Jesus meant by 'Let your light shine.'
|Topic||Early Years Linked Topic||Term||Driving Question||Character Aspect to be Developed||Leading Subjects||Discrete Subjects (not linked)||Themes to explore in books at home|
|Quantock Legends||Where we live||Autumn||What does a successful community look like?||A sense of others||Art, Music, English, Geography, History, Science, PSHE.||Maths, Computing, MFL, RE, PE||Anglo-Saxons, Communities, Legends, Storytelling, Countryside, Hills.|
|Climate Change: What can I do about it?||Save the planet!||Spring||What can I do about the Climate Emergency?||A sense of self||Geography, Science, DT, Music, PSHE, English, Computing.||Maths, RE, MFL, PE||Environment, Climate Change, Food, Oceans, Animals.|
|Awesome Egyptians||A Famous Person||Summer||What did Ancient People believe?||A sense of the World||History, English, Science, Art, Music, RE.||Maths, Computing, MFL, PE, PSHE.||Egyptians, Ancient Religions,|
Click here for more information.